Black Eyed Pea Salad
Black Eyed Pea Salad
A Bold Southern-style bean salad that produces various and wonderful texture, with creamy avocado. Can be made ahead of time, no wilting involved and is perfect for tailgates, picnics, barbecues and potlucks.
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Cutting Board
- Pressure Cooker
- 1 medium Orange
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Lime
- 1 stp garlic minced
- 1/4 cup small onion diced
- 1 tsp cumin 1/4
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 3 tbsp fresh herbs cilantro or parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
Veggies and Fruits
- 4 cups Hanover Black-Eyed Peas cooked
- 1 can Hanover Garden Fresh Sweet Corn
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion Chopped
- 2 Cups Cherry Tomatoes Sliced
- 2 Cups Cucumber Diced
- 1/2 Bell Pepper Diced
- 1 Avocado Peeled and chopped
- Squeeze out juice from orange, lemon and lime into a non- reactive pan. Add cumin, honey, garlic, onion, oil and herbs. Whisk everything together then lightly salt and pepper to taste. Mix well to combine , adjust for seasoning. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Drain and rinse beans from can and place in a large bowl. Repeat this process for the corn. Add diced cucumber, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes. Dice avocados and drizzle with lemon to prevent discoloration, before adding to the rest of the vegetables.
- Pour over the dressing/marinade mixture over the salad, stir to coat, cover and place in the fridge for 2 hours or more before serving. Take note to stir in occasionally.
- Give it a stir before serving.
How to boil Black Eyed Peas
- Rinse black eyed pea beans and pick through and discard any foreign object. (I did not have to do this since I use the packaged beans.)
- Add beans to a large pot covering with 3-4 inches of cold water.
- Cover and let sit overnight or about 1-2 hours
- Drain the soaked beans, rinse, and place the beans in a Dutch oven or pressure cooker. Follow instructions for cooking beans in your pressure cooker. It takes roughly between 8 to 12 minutes to cook.
- If not using a pressure cook, cook the beans for about 30- 50 mins , depending on how tender you like them.
Serving: 150gCalories: 207kcalCarbohydrates: 24gProtein: 7gFat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 7mgPotassium: 375mgFiber: 6gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 395IUVitamin C: 29.6mgCalcium: 41mgIron: 2.7mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Comment